Wednesday, August 03, 2005

The eagle has landed

I just arrived after an uneventful--and even relaxing--trip. Just knowing that a month of friends and relaxation awaits me, the entire trip has already felt like vacation. Wine on the plane; a solid 6-hour sleep in my seat; life is good! I met a fantastic elderly couple on the plane to Rome (I fly ATL, Detroit, Rome, Venice--I'm in Rome now)--they have been married forever, as far as I could tell, and they travel all over the place: the States; the Nile; Mexico every year --where the Mrs. goes parasailing, at age 70, and relentlessly tries to get her husband to join her, but he says he's holding out for Tunisia for his first parasailing adventure On hearing this, I sang the praises of my visit to Tunisia, both the sea and the desert. "That sounds fantastic!" the wife said. And with a twinkle in her eye, added, "Buckle in, honey--that parasailing trip just got closer." As we parted ways in Rome (they are going to Portugal this trip, because "the pictures are so pretty, we thought we'd go"), the Mr. waved at me and called across the terminal, "See you in Tunisia!" They were fantastic.

I'm at a free internet spot in the airport, awaiting my connection to Venice. The keys on the keyboard were designed for Hagrid or someone with much stronger fingers than I have. So briefly (before my fingers fall off), here's the coolest stuff so far: 1. I am SO RELAXED. It is fantastic. 2. Travel, I have realized, has become more about the precious friends I spend time with than the places I see. "Turns out, not where you are but who you're with that really matters... "(dave mathews). I didn't even buy my signature "Let's Go!" travel guide. It's insignificant this time around. I want to see the people I love and have so little time with. 3. My Italian is a lot better than I thought it was, and evidently, so is my comportment: people speak Italian to me and do not switch to English when I speak. Sometimes I ask for English, and they ask, "Why?" Makes me feel great. 4. My French is still good. Eavesdropping is as natural now as it was when I lived in France. My own speech is not--but I definitely understand French with not much effort. 5. I bought a great tee shirt for Luvi, the Italian five year-old. It's from Fernbank's "Grossology" exhibit--gross anatomy for kids. The shirt is black and has glow-in-the-dark skeleton, muscles, and connective tissues. Luvi's mom, Raff, is very Gucci/Prada/Fendi chic. She will hate the shirt, but Luvi wil LOVE it, as will her dad and grandmother (Dad is Andrea, grandma is Luciana). I can't WAIT to give it to her!

I'm going to find my departure gate and have my first beautiful, wonderful truly Italian espresso.

With barely attached fingers and love,
Tif

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do you always manage to meet the coolest people on these trips?

I am tooooo jealous but, oh, so happy that you are safely surrounded by the Italians. Please hug and kiss them for Dad and me--esp. little Luvi.

Enjoy every moment. I leave for Myrtle Beach tonight; Dad stays home to open school. I'll return Saturday night. Papa is better and will be happy to have this good report of your trip.

Much love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Godmother here. I told your mom I would check the blog while she is in SC. Glad to hear you arrived safely. There are fun old people around!

Anonymous said...

Tif,
Welcome to Europe, you'll have a blast. Looking forward to the stories and pics.
Tim.

Anonymous said...

Looks like you're off to an awesome start! Just be safe!

Drew

Anonymous said...

Salut Tif! Bienvenue en Italie! C'est mon excuse d'ecrire un peu en francais... :) Dis 'bonjour' a ta famille italienne pour moi. Peut-etre il faut mieux si tu evites le lait avec ton cafe (tu te souviens la fois a Trieste et a l'autobus?) SAFE TRAVELS!!!

Lauren