Tuesday, August 16, 2005

The quick, quick version

Hi! So we finished the wedding with an absolutely incredible amount of food--apparently, the mortal sin of gluttony has been removed from the Southern Italian catechism...

The next day, Caterina, Meri and I cleaned up the house since the bride and groom would be staying there for a week. WE didn't quite know what to do with Stew the Rabbit, so Cate and I decided to wash him with the Italian equivalent of Snuggles detergent (since he was fur, I mean, you HAD to use a delicate detergent, right?), fluffed him with a hair dryer, dressed him up, and shut him in the bathroom as a surprise for the newlyweds. We haven't heard from them yet, but they must have found him by now. The bathroom shower leaked and dripped water, much like Chinese water torture, and it kept us up at night for a while. We've joked that it was like Chinese torture for the rabbit, and by the time the newlyweds arrived, they'd have a fluffy and hysterical rabbit that smelled of clothes detergent. He was also impossible to rinse properly, so for the rest of his life, the poor bunny will suds up when he gets wet. Poor guy. We took pictures, though, which was highly amusing.

Cate and I then traveled to Modena where we are currently staying with her family--mom is Fiorella, dad is Massimo (I think), sister Angela, and their brother Davide and his wife Barbara visited for dinner last night. Last night was Ferragosto, the feast of the assumption of the virgin, so we had lots of food. Caterina's mother lets me help cook, and it's fun!

We went for the afternoon to caterina's little house in the foothills in the area. it is one of the most peaceful places I've ever visited. We saw the herb garden, lots of trees, animals, did some very light hiking, and saw the grapes her father grows--he makes wine as a hobby. The house really reminded me of a beach house I once visited in Brittany with Stephane, a French guy I know. It was magnificent.

Tomorrow Cate's dad is taking us hiking and giving me my first rockclimbing lesson!! He's big into rock climbing. on the 20th, i fly to Hamburg Germany and then take a train into denmark, where i will meet Andi and her Danish family. I think the two of us will stay in Denmark for a while (she teaches yoga and has classes that week), and then go into Scandinavia--Norway and Sweden. Then I'll travel to Paris and meet Jean-Claude on the 28th for lunch. I'll spend the next days in Paris, and probably go into Le Mans, the town where I lived and worked in France, for a day. Then I fly home from Paris on the 31st!! I cannot wait! It's fantastic.

So.... My plane gets in at 10h30pm or so on the 31st. Any volunteers to meet me at the airport? Shameless trolling, I know, but if anybody's interested, email me and I'll give you more details about my arrival. At the present moment, I'm taking a taxi back home.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tiff,

WOW!!! What a trip. I've enjoyed reading your blog. You should write a book. You run into some of the neatest and coolest people. Enjoy the rest of your trip and I look forward to reading more about your trip. I can't wait to see your pictures.

Kevin

Anonymous said...

Tif
I agree with Kevin. You should write a book. Not only are your adventures enjoyable, but your descriptive flair is divine! I can't wait until you return safely. I hope you have a chance to write more. I had the opportunity to live in Naples, Italy for 3 months when I was 15. I got to travel to Germany, Switzerland, and Austria. I later returned to Europe after graduating from high school and added France to my list. I miss it and would love to go back. Maybe in a few years we can take a trip together. Take care
Ciao Bella
Mary Anne

Anonymous said...

Tif - I was thinking along the same lines as some others here that I think in your next life you need to be a writer! You really have a way with words & description. Stephane, hmmmmm, yes, I remember that trip of yours! Isn't Como nice, I remember taking a boat cruise w/someone pointing out famous people's mansions / chateaux as well as the grave of Napoleon's dog, random I know. Have fun in Scandinavia! Enjoy those cooler temps before returning to the stifling heat here. Mange un vrai pain au chocolat et une crepe pour moi quand tu es a Paris :)

Lauren