That's a line in one of my favorite songs, "Reunion," by Indigo Girls. The set up to the line says, "And I drove out of there with no one behind me/ feelin' funny and free..." I always loved that line, and tomorrow - I get to do just that!
Life has brought a lot of changes since my last post ... including me kind of forgetting that I had this blog. (oops) It never occurred to me that anyone actually read the blog; it was just kind of here for my amusement. But then tonight I updated my facebook status (yes, yes, I know - blog, facebook, go ahead and laugh) to talk about an upcoming trip, and an old friend, Kelli, commented that she would be checking my blog. I was thrilled! I'd firstly forgotten that this blog existed, and secondly - wow, was I amazed that anyone actually read it. So here I am! Writing again. For my audience of one. (Thanks, Kelli!) (fist bump)
Back go changes - so! In February and March of this year, like everyone else remotely linked to the U.S. ecoomy, I became very afraid of getting laid off. Several of my friends, also attorneys, had been laid off, and they'd had an amazingly difficult time finding jobs in Atlanta. In fact, some of my "best-credentialed" friends -- I'm talking top of class, Federal clerk type friends -- had to move to another state to find legal work. Needless to say, I was pretty terrified.
I knew that interviewing would not only be fruitless, but potentially damaging - if an employer learned that someone was "looking" in this market, it could mean an early layoff. So I decided to apply to MBA programs. I'd wanted a change from the legal life for quite some time, but I didn't know how to do it. This could provide just such an opportunity if I did get laid off. This was a nice "safety net" to have if the proverbial worse came to worst.
I thought I'd get into schools, and then only go if I were (1) laid off and (2) couldn't find another job. But then something miraculous happened. Very much to my surprise, Emory University offered me the Goizueta Fellowship - a very prestigious merit-based full scholarship, plus a stipend to help with living expenses. I was stunned, and it was just a once-in-a-lifetime type offer. I couldn't turn it down. This was the opportunity I'd been waiting for to transition out of law. So I jumped!
I sold my Sparkles (the best convertible in the whole wide world) and leased a much more affordable Toyota (which I already love - her name is Red). I've already imposed a student's budget on myself, and though it will likely involve more Ramen noodles than I'd like, it feels so good to be money-conscious, and "lighter." My fabulous college friend, Colleen, is moving in and will share living expenses. It feels so good to simplify, and to challenge myself in this way. It feels so much more "right" than anything I've done in a really long time.
And today was my last day of work!!! It felt kind of amazing. I love my colleagues - really amazing people with whom I've formed friendships that far exceed the bounds of the office. The decision to leave law was something akin to a no-brainer for me. The decision to leave these people was much more difficult.
So after a lunch at Mary Mac's Tea Room and many more hours of administrative closing details than I care to recall, I wrote my last goodbye/thank you card, walked out with Cynthia, turned in my parking pass and what I always affectionately called my hall pass (security key card) and I drove out of there with no one behind me, feelin' funny and free. It's the end of an era, and the beginning of a new one. And best of all, it's time. Everything about it feels RIGHT. Even the Ramen noodles. : )
And tomorrow I fly to Santiago! Back to Chile I go, except this time I'm not taking a twenty-pound battery. No, Tiffany the Pack Mule is taking ski gloves, ski goggles, a down parka, a helmet (seroiusly? seriously), a fuzzbuster, and a brand-spanking-new ps3... and it kinda warms my heart. I mean, the packing sucks, but it does kinda warm my heart. : )
I'll arrive Friday morning and spend Friday and Friday night with the Baeza family. It's Alvaro's mother's birthday, so it's a big family occasion. I can't wait to see everyone! His mother and sister have sent me the most wonderful emails saying how excited they are to see me. Yay! Plus, it's blustery winter in the Southern Hemisphere now, and a brief taste of scarves, hats, mittens, and pink noses will be a delicously welcome change in the midst of a humid Atlanta July.
Initially, Alvaro and I intended to get up Saturday morning, drive into the Andes, or maybe to the beach (just a couple of hours away), and spend the weekend. Two days ago, however, he emailed me a ticket - he's flying us down to Puerto Montt, a beautiful picturesque place in Southern Chile. We fly out at 5am on Saturday (!) and return Monday evening. What a great surprise! I'm so excited. Snow-capped volcanoes! The Pacific Ocean! The island of Chiloe! While the tour books say that this is in Patagonia, our Chilean friend begs to differ, saying that it's not in "real" Patagonia. Whatever. Close enough for this U.S.-ian. And what a thoughtful guy. I'm so blessed. : )
Tonight, I had a brief celebratory dinner with one of my favorite people in the whole *entire* world, Becca, where we ran into my old friends from Vidalia and from college. What a great symmetry to things! I came back home, went through mail and other icky documents, and cleaned up a bit. Tomorrow will be a BIG day - a morning run (okay, it's an ideal, and likely not a reality, I know), shopping for gifts, running errands, doing laundry, packing, trip to the bank ... and then off on a South American adventure!
I'm totally digging this unemployed thing. And it's only been five hours! : D
... and thanks, Kelli, for reminding me that this is here. I love to write. It's so amazing that someone (other than my mother) reads it! : )
And how about this? If you read this, please leave a comment. Who's out there? Probably Kelli and Mom. And that's probably it!
T
PS - I wrote this last night, but internet's been out until just now. And yes, I actually did make my morning run! (Thanks, Becca)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I read it too... and enjoyed it lots. Thanks so much for my wonderful and thoughtful card.
mil Besos
Maria
I'm reading too!
Tiffany... I used to be quite the blogger myself, and totally understand your desire to be read! I really enjoyed this post in particular, because #1, it quoted my fav Indigo Girls album, and #2, it echoed my sentiments about what has been going on in my own life over the past year. Wait until you feel free enough to quit telling people you are a lawyer when they ask what you do... because you identify more with the new hat you're wearing. It is the best feeling in the world, and I'm glad that you are embarking on a journey to find what it is you really want to do in life. You are full of potential, and you'll do great things. Keep it up!
Wow! Congratulations, Tiffany on your big decision! I often debate leaving the law. . .:-)
Have fun in Chile!
xo, Robyn
I would like to say that there is another reader of your blog. Although it's been awhile since your posts. I'm excited to hear about your trips and new direction in life...back to school. Sounds fun yet all that studying again is giving me chest pain. Haha.
Hi Tiffany! Congratulations on your new life. I can't wait to read about all your adventures! I miss you and I am glad to be able to stay in touch. --- J-Cake
Post a Comment