Saturday, December 27, 2008

Ahi Chileno and Mostaza... Yummmmmmm

I disembarked the plane, paid my $131 reciprocity fee (thank you, U.S. foreign policy), and steered my bags through customs. I'd been stopped at every security checkpoint in Atlanta because I was carrying - get this - a 20-lb portable battery pack, with enough juice for 240 kilowatt-hours. It's also packaged in tight-fitted backpack-ish black and orange zippered case... making it look like a very neatly packaged and massive bomb. (This was an installment from Alvaro, who shipped it to my office with a Puss'n'Boots smile asking, "hey, can you take something back for me?" Twenty pounds and one massive carry-on later, I schlepped my pseudo-bomb for all the inspectors in secondary.)

No one in Chile seemed to care - or notice - what I was carrying.

I'd dressed nicely for the flight - or rather, for being picked up from the flight (I am a proponent of the Bob Hope and Sark theory of pajamas on a plane), since I was expecting to go straight to Alvaro's house to see his mother, and meet his father, sister, and brother-in-law for the first time. This is the only reason I was wearing pressed khakis, a white button-down, a corduroy jacket, make-up, and - the coup de grace - heels. As I teetered along, 20-pound pseudo-bomb in tow, I bubbled with excitement at seeing the boyfriend, and meeting the family.

I met Alvaro at the airport, a touch delirious from the flight, and he gave me a quick tour of the city on the way to his house. I quickly learned that his family was out of town. I promptly removed the heels with a huge grin.

After dropping off the bags, we set off for my first escapade in Santiago. The weather was perfect - around 70 degrees F, streaming sunlight, clear skies, cool breeze. We visited a diner in the Providencia district, very close to his family's home. This place is a true diner, with people sitting on stools at bars lining the walls, and around the bar. The place buzzed with friendly chatter and neighbors who knew each other. Alvaro had spoken highly and repeatedly of a sandwich here - the "Italiano" - which has the pulled pork of a Cuban, tomato, avocado, and homemade mayonaise, on homemade bread. He ordered two, and Coca Lights (I love Coca Light - so much better than Diet Coke or Coke Zero). As we waited on the food, I noticed ketchup and mustard bottles, which he immediately warned me were not ketchup and mustard, but a spicy red chile sauce, and a sweet and sour type mustard. He warned me to steer clear.

The sandwiches arrived, and I enjoyed mine - but something was missing. A certain bite. I decided to try the "ketchup" and "mustard," despite Alvaro's warnings... and boy, I found what was missing. Amazing. It's like ketchup laced with Tabasco, and dijon mustard with the consistency and tang of sweet and sour sauce. It made the sandwich perfect. Really perfect. We decided it would be a great addition to the Vortex menu. And the ahi Chileno and the mostaza will be coming home with me. I will share. :)

No comments: